If you are experiencing severe pain or perhaps there is a large portion of your tooth that is fractured, you may need a tooth extraction. At Thrive Dental and Orthodontics in Allen, we try to preserve all of your teeth so that you can have that smile you have always wanted but this may not always be possible. We will treat you with the utmost care when you need an extraction at our dental office.
Tooth extractions are a relatively common occurence. Here are a few reasons you may need an extraction:
1. Severely broken down tooth
2. Old silver-mercury fillings that are leaking into your body
3. Large cavity that has eaten away a large portion of your tooth
4. Root canal treatment that has a recurrent infection.
Not everyone has to have their wisdom teeth removed but it is always a good thing to check with our dentists to evaluate space. If you have enough space and your wisdom teeth are erupting normally than there is no need for extractions but if your wisdom teeth are erupting horizontally it may be a good idea to remove them before they damage other teeth.
Sometimes you may need a few teeth removed. Having one tooth or many is a very similar procedure. We will take gentle care of you and we have highly trained dentists that know how to remove multiple teeth in a fast and efficient manner.
After your tooth removal we will go through the various instructions to ensure you heal properly. It's important to:
1. Heal for at least a few days before strenuous exercise
2. Do not drink through a straw or smoke as this can lead to dry socket (video explanation below)
3. Do not eat hard foods that may also dislodge your blood clot.
We are always excited to hear from new Thrive Dental patients in Allen, TX. Reach out anytime!
we want to hear from you